VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2011

Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:49:54 -0600
Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: *sei·sin *
Variant: *or **sei·zin */'sEz- & noun/
Function: *noun *
Etymology: Anglo-French *seisine *, from Old French *saisine * act oftaking
possession, from *saisir * to seize, of Germanic origin
*1 **: * the possession of land or chattels: as *a **: * the possession of
land arising from livery of seisin —see also LIVERY OF
SEISIN<http://dictionary.reference.com/legal/search?db=mwlaw&nq=liveryofseisin>
 *b **:* the possession of a freehold estate in land by one having title
thereto
*2 **: * the right to immediate possession of an estate or toimmediate
succession < *seisin * of an heir upon death of thetestator>