VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 07:52:08 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question,  "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?" - Unknown

While I do not know if LDS has filmed this particular set of records, I do know that years ago one of our Hatchers found a gold mine in the LawrenceCo, AR courthouse. These records were estate records for a wealthy Hatcher who died intestate and without heirs [except for his wife].

Every sibling, their spouse and the children of deceased siblings were found in those records including what percent share they were to receive. Deeds involving the sale of inherited land were there. The names of siblings not found were listed. We now had the WHOLE family of Charles Hatcher thoroughly documented! A researcher's dream!

Well--------sorta!

A few years later a descendant of the eldest sibling, John, DNA tested and [gasp!] he WASN'T a Hatcher. We found descendants for the other 3 sons of John who were willing to test and sure enough, they matched the 1st tester and weren't Hatchers either.

It would seem that the mother had first been married to someone else producing son John. After marrying 2nd to a Hatcher, her son took the name of his Hatcher stepfather and his younger Hatcher half-sibs were never aware, identifying him in those court documents as their "brother."

So even with unimpeachable documentation on this family, it took DNA to reveal the skeletons still hidden in their closet.

Nel Hatcher