VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 15:23:21 -0400
Tom,

Mrs. Mary (Unknown) Davidson of Charles City Co., VA (CCCo) wrote her will
in the late-1780s (and it was probated in 1793, as I recall), and one of her
daughters named therein was Mrs. Mary (Davidson) Major.  It is uncertain
which Davidson man was the husband of Mrs. Mary (Unknown) Davidson, but an
Edward Davidson was one of the witnesses (and/or executor) of her will.  I
have traced this Davidson family (my family) back to the David Davidson who
died in James City Co., VA (JCCo) in 1687 (he was born in Holland, per his
naturalization papers) and to his son, who was also named David Davidson,
who died in 1756 in CCCo.  A William Davidson also died in JCCo in 1687 (per
a Bruton/Middleton Parish record), but I don't know how/if he was related to
David Davidson, nor do I know if he had a wife and/or children.

Does anyone know which Mr. Major the above Miss Mary Davidson married?  Mrs.
Mary (Davidson) Major had siblings who were named Miss Elizabeth Davidson
and William Davidson.  William Davidson choose a Mr. Wilson to be his
guardian by 1793.  It appears that this was the same William  Davidson who
served in the War of 1812, as did his likely relative Henry Davidson.
Thanks!

Bill