VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:08:33 -0600
Hey Paul, what parish records are there for NC?  Thanks a lot.  Joe from
Ohio.
***
Here, again, and contrary to what previously has been written, records
remain for several parishes.  I have in my library a copy of the vestry
minutes of St. Paul's of Chowan (1701-1776) and some of the records remain
for St. Andrew's in Tyrril and for Southwest Parish of Pasquotank.  Then
too, some of the Vestry Book of St. John's of Beaufort for the years 1742
and following remain, and the St. Peters registry also is available at BHM
Library, though it may not be checked out.

The 1754 NC Vestry Act established the 24 parishes for the NC Colony
(Chapter IV, 1754 Session laws).  That act also appears in Colonial Records
of North Carolina, vol. 25. pp. 298-304.

My thanks to Steve Case of NC Archives and to Joann Harley, Terria Baynor,
and Sharon Gable (and to Google) for portions of the information following:

The parishes are/were as follows by name and then are listed the counties
served by those.

St. Paul's, Chowan
Berkeley, Perquimans
St. John's, Pasquotank
St. Peter's, Pasquotank
Currituck, Currituck
Society, Bertie
St. Andrew's, Tyrrell
St. Thomas's, Beaufort
St. George's, Hyde
North-West, Northampton
St. John's, Granville
St. Matthew's, Orange
St. Luke's, Rowan
St. David's, Cumberland
St. Gabriel's, Duplin
St. George's, Anson
Edgecombe, Edgecombe
St. Martin's, Bladen
St. James's, east side of Cape Fear River
St. Philip's, west side of Cape Fear River
St. Patrick's, Johnson
Christ Church, Craven
St. John's, Onslow
St. John's, Carteret