VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2009

From:
Margaret Kerr Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:09:03 -0500
Steve & Bunny,

This is a red letter day in my 30 years of genealogy!

I always look through everything you send to me and today I hit the jackpot!

A couple of my lines are missing some essential "puzzle pieces", i.e. the
Elsey line and the White line!  Well, you sent me quite a gift today in the
Hardy County, VA tax lists!

My 4th great-grandfather, Edward Elsey, has been a real challenge!  He was
on both the 1789 & 1799 lists for Hardy County, VA!
I have a marriage record (2nd marriage from 1811) for him from Hardy County
and am trying to find records that he owned property on the Stony River,
just a few miles south of the North Branch of the Potomac River, in what was
then Hardy County.  I have yet to find the property records but haven't
given up!

I found a John Elsey on the list, too, and think he may have been a brother
of Edward who was born in England before Edward's parents came to America.
I believe Edward was born in 1755 in Maryland (but could have been Virginia)
in Frederick County.  I have some paperwork about his ARW service and a copy
of his brother's (Thomas Elsey) ARW pension application that I use as
"anchors".

I also found Samuel White on 1799 list.  I believe Samuel was a brother of
my 5th great grandfather, Thomas White, originally from Sussex County, New
Jersey.  Thomas White settled in Randolph County (VA, now WV), where I live.

I can never thank you enough for your generosity in sharing your work!  You
have been a wonderful resource for me and today you outdid yourselves!

Margaret Kerr Beckwith
Elkins, West Virginia