VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 18:31:29 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to document my doubts that the Mary Baugh, who many folks seem to
say married (1) John Crowley, (2) Thomas (or maybe John) Howlett, (3) Henry
Ascough; and (4) Thomas Byrd, could be the mother of any of the often cited
sons of Thomas Byrd (brother of William Byrd I).  To wit:  Thomas, William,
Andrew & Abraham.

My interest in this is double.  First I have Tennessee Byrd (probably
Robertson Co) ancestry that appears to trace back to Franklin Co. VA, where there was
a healthy mix of folks with old Virginia roots along the Chesapeake (maybe my
Byrds) and those who came down the Shenandoah Valley and passed through the
Blue Ridge to what is now Rocky Mount and points primarily east, west & south.

Second, my maiden name is Baugh and I've been trying to figure out the early
Virginia Baughs, including a number on the Eastern Shore, and this attribution
of children to Thomas Byrd and this particular Mary Baugh has bothered me
greatly given the above lineup of Mary's husbands, and the simple fact that she
probably didn't marry Thomas until 1705, died in 1710, and she was probably at
least 60 years old, and had been busy with the three prior husbands.

This does not mean, however, that there might not be another early Mary
Baugh, which is quite possible due to the loss of all the early Henrico Co. records
and the presence of two, possibly three, adult male Baughs in 1638 -- John &
William (father of Mary of the four husbands who died April 1687), possibly
still Thomas from the early records in West Sherlow Hundred 1623/4.

To complete my documentation on the Mary Baugh/Thomas Byrd-as parents
question, I very much hope one of you has one (or both) of the following books and
can provide me with the passages in the Adventures of Purse & Person. page 558
(thanks Linda!) that are cited as documentation for Mary Baugh and Thomas Byrd
below:

Source A (and of greatest interest to me):  "The Correspondence of the three
William Byrds of Westover, Virginia, 1684-1776." Ed. Marion Tinling.
Charlottesville: UP of Virginia, 1977. (two volumes).

Passage here from Purse & Person is cited as Source A above: Volume II, page
826, and the footnote is the first one after these two passages. I hope that
it identifies Thomas Byrd's wife Mary by a previous married name. "Mary Ascough
held 633 acres in  Henrico County, 1704. She married (4) Thomas Byrd, son of
John Byrd and Grace (Stegge) Byrd, brother of Col. William Byrd I"  Janet
Hunter note:  I assume that the first sentence on land holdings is taken without
reference from the 1704 Quit Rent Rolls and was not cited in Tinling's book,
although I suppose it's possible the brothers wrote to each other and Thomas
described his bride's landholdings <smile> over a breakfast of boiled milk. On
the Quit Rents I believe she appears as "Ascoutch Mary  Henrico County, 1705",
indicating to me that in 1705, when the Henrico lists seem to have been taken,
she was still not married to Thomas Byrd.

Source B:  "The Great American Gentleman: William Byrd of Westover in
Virginia, his secret diary for the years 1709-1712." Eds. Louis B. Wright and Marion
Tinling. NY, Putnam, 1963.

This source is cited twice, pages 152 and 153, and is a continuation of the
sentence above and I assume refers to the death information.  [She married (4)
Thomas Byrd, son of John Byrd and Grace (Stegge) Byrd, brother of Col. William
Byrd I], "who died 12 March 1709/1710. She died four days later 16 March
1709/1710."

Thank you very much in advance if you can provide me with the relevant
passages from the above sources that are cited.  I wouldn't be asking this, but I am
for the moment in sunny Long Beach, California helping my elderly mother, not
Northern Virginia so I can't just pop over as I had become used to to one of
about three libraries that I'm sure would have the books, within ten miles.
(Sure wish the question came up two weeks ago when I was in Salt Lake City,
although I my patience level had reached almost zero on my chosen research -- I
defy anyone to find the page numbers on most of the early Henrico Co.
microfilms, not to mention the Philadelphia Co., PA Will Books.)

With my best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter