VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:11:05 -0500
Ms. Holly wrote: "....I think this statement is major overkill. While
I agree that Ancestry.com
seems careless, if there were no "genealogy for money" sites, we would
not
have online genealogy bookstores with invaluable transcribed public
records
for sale, or census images available to people in their homes at the
click
of a mouse...People who
put in countless hours of work transcribing and publishing records for
other genealogists to use deserve to be paid for their efforts. Just
because they're paid does not mean they're any less honest or
accurate; in
fact, I have found the majority of such transcribers to be
scrupulously
careful and honest in their work.

I think the problems with Ancestry stem from their being such a LARGE
corporation. With increased size, you generally get decreased
competence
and interest from the support staff. The smaller operations generally
provide better service because they care more about their
customers..."
****
Ms. Holly; I have visited your delightful website and on-line store.
I believe that not a person on the VA sites would be critical of you
and those like you for your honest, worthwhile, and forthright efforts
and offerings.  More than that I see that you accurately describe what
you offer and have no "membership" fees beyond the price asked for
whatever information and sources you offer.  I also see that you do
not entice folks with ads offering "free" information, then when they
arrive at your clickable site, or the first or second click into that
site, they find that you require money to continue on; money, NOT for
some particular and honest effort that you have undertaken but rather,
money for what those other sites have pirated in the hope that their
customers MAY one day need and they MAY one day dispense for profit.

You stated the problem precisely; with rapid growth carelessness and
untoward desire for profit quite usually follows close behind.  I
remain firm in my belief that the desire for an increased "bottom
line" by those websites we have been discussing is far greater than
any desire those organizers might have for accuracy and forthrightness
in their offerings.

NOTICE: If they saw fit, those site owners could easily solve this
whole problem by naming the officers of their company, giving the
names of each of the authors of materials being offered, telling
whether or not permission has been sought and granted for the use of
those materials, and by stating that MUCH of what is available through
them is rank speculation and guesses by unknown genealogy buffs.

My books are copyrighted, and even though I freely give information
and large blocks of my research to individuals, whether or not I even
am acquainted with such folks, you may believe that anyone who uses my
materials without asking and crediting me in their use can expect to
hear from me via some courtroom.  I will not abide dishonesty by
opportunists and promoters.  However, I again say that I am satisfied
that you are not of that ilk.   Paul