VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

From:
Shelley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:23:21 EST
I am seeking to find out any birth or family information on Lawson Goens who
was born abt. 1806 in Virginia. any help would be appreciated. Some background
info below. Some census link the families as white and others they are
mulatto/colored/black.
Shelley

Goen, Goens, Goins, Goings Family

Lawson Goens was born in 1807 in Virginia. He was married about 1830 to Sarah
Hart who was also born April 1, 1810 in Virginia. They were in the Jefferson
County Federal census for the years of 1850, 60 and 1870. They were in the
Kabletown area of Jefferson County. VA, and as of 1863 West Virginia.

11 Children born to Lawson Goens and Sarah (Hart) Goens:

o     Martha Elizabeth born June 16, 1831, died 1834.

o     John Francis, born August 4, 1832. He and his wife lived on Mt. Gilliam
in a log cabin and he built caskets.

o     William Alexander born March 4, 1834. Married about 1857 to Martha
Johnson, daughter of Kitty. Children born if any are unknown at this time.

o     Stephen, born Feb 28, 1838. He lived with his brother John and later
moved to Pittsburg PA. He died April 4, 1890. H lived with his brother John
Francis supposedly on Mt. Gilliam. He died April 4, 1890.

o     Frances Virginia “Fannie,” born December 28, 1837, she married James
Douglas Roper. Children are:   Mary Virginia b. 11/7/1860, George William b.
5/13/1864, Martha E. b. 11/10, 1875 and Nancy Clara b. about 1880.

o     Mary Catherine born April 18, 1840. Married George Marsh. Children are:
Nancy Ardella b. 1864, Sarah born in OH- (married Henry Davis), Cora born in
Manistee Co. Mi, Frank, Warren, Jesse, Clara (married Henry Davis), Hattie,
John and Matthew, George. (This is my great great grandmother)

o     Charles Henry born March 16, 1844, married Louisa Victoria Roper about
1867: children: James Douglas, Rosie, Fanny, Mabel, Florence, Alice Sophy,
Eliza, Annie E. Charles and Neva Elrita.

o     Josiah (Joseph) born August 17, 1846, married Lucy Sims, 1869 daughter
of Eliza Sims. Children; Arwilda M b. 1871 (married Howard Hart), Lawson 1873,
Charles Austin b. 1875, and Lucy b. 1878.

o     Nancy Elizabeth born March 24, 1848. She married Emanuel Johnson around
1868. Children: Eugene b. 1868, Margaret b. 1870, Mary b. 1872, Henry b.
1875, John b. 1878

o     Sarah Ann “Sally” born August 9, 1849, married William Henry Roper
July 17, 1873. Children: Lethea b. 1875, Huston b. 1877, Leonard b. 1879, and
Gladys b. 1882.

o     Richard Peyton b. April 28, 1852.

 Lawson Goens worked as a ferryman for 30 years in Jefferson Co. at the
historic Shannondale Springs Resort. He died on July 12, 1874. We do not know where
he died or where he is buried. Sarah (Hart) died in 1886, we do not know what
County she died in, but she is buried in Jefferson County West Virginia.
After Lawson died Sarah moved in with her daughter Nancy Johnson. We have Sarah
(Hart) Goens bible, and there is no S on the Surname, it is written as Goen.

Know your Roots, they are Long and Strong..

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_cBXgAm48zBsVKCIn8GCRHRae/fnQDiYYjZOJc4sG+/U=