VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 12:46:57 -0400
The Manly Brown I am talking about was baptized 16 Dec 1666 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dean Parish, Dean Deaconry, Bolton, Lancashire in the Palatinate of Lancaster, son of Richard and Mary Brown.

Father Richard Brown immigrated to Northumberland County, Virginia. He was one of seven headrights imported by Ambrose Fielding who filed for a certificate in Northumberland on 17 Feb 1667/8. Evidently, wife Mary and his son Manly followed soon after. Richard died in Northumberland County in 1677 when his wife Mary was granted administration on his estate on 20 June. That same day, she bound out her eleven year old (age stated in the record) son Manly to Ambrose Fielding who raised him.

Manly had two wives. The name of the first wife is not known. I have never heard of Mary Tuttle and wonder where that is coming from (isn't that a New England name?). There is certainly no evidence for that in the records of Northumberland County or Westmoreland County. His second wife was  named Susannah, possibly a widow herself of a man named Footman. He had issue by both wives.

By the second wife he had a son Manly Brown (m. Mary Lamkin), and a grandson by son Thomas also named Manly Brown (who died unmarried with no issue). After that, the name "Manly" stops.

To further confuse the issue, there was a David Brown who was in a cross generation between Richard Brown and Manly Brown, and who also had a son Manly Brown. That line disappears early on, however.

I know of two living male Browns on this line, and one of them I believe has taken the ancestry.com DNA test. He, however, has not been a significant part of the research effort. I am glad to suggest this idea to both of them. You might want to send me an email off list so we can discuss this further.

Craig