VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:02:50 -0600
My brick walls are my 5th g-grandfather, Joseph Gilmore, and his
son-in-law, William Ferguson, of Albemarle Co., VA

Joseph was born about 1744 in - I guess - Albemarle Co.  He married
Frances "Franky" EUBANK, daughter of Hannah and John Eubank of Albemarle
Co.  He might be related to Jane Heard and John Gilmore who lived in
Albemarle Co. around 1750.

One of Franky and Joseph's daughters was Catherine "Caty" Gilmore, born
9 Mar 1773 in Albemarle Co.  She married William Ferguson 28 Feb 1793 in
Albemarle Co.  I have no idea who William's parents were, but DNA
testing has shown that he was related to Ann Stubbleson and John
Ferguson of Essex Co., VA.  DNA has also shown that William was very
closely related to Daniel Ferguson of Albemarle Co.  Daniel married
Elizabeth "Betsey" Thomas, daughter of Mary Jopling and Ralph Thomas of
Albemarle Co.

I am also a descendant of another Gilmore daughter, Elizabeth, who
married John Weatherred 13 Apr 1795 in Albemarle Co.  Elizabeth was born
3 Aug 1775 in Albemarle Co.  John Weatherred was the son of Agnes
Suddarth and Francis Marcus "Frank" Weatherred of Albemarle Co.  They
all moved to Sumner Co., TN around 1800.

The Fergusons also moved to Sumner Co. around 1807 and then moved across
the state line to what was then Barren Co., KY around 1810, where
William Ferguson died from a farming accident.  Catherine Gilmore
Ferguson married Benjamin Bailey, a local Baptist minister, in 1815 and
lived to be almost 100 years old.

I would love to discover who William Ferguson's parents were and also
the parents of Joseph Gilmore.  I will be happy to share the information
I have on these families.

Thank you.

Sharon Clark
Fort Worth, TX