VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Karen Lewander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Lewander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:06:50 -0400
I received some court paperwork I sent away for and I need a little
assistance with it. I have a few questions.

First it is a suit against the heirs of John Berry's Estate, Aaron and
Malachy, the executors, and also John's sons. This is a bond for 120 pounds
ten schillings for James Pendelton and John Berry Sen to John Mitchell
Merchant, Mitchell v. Berry Executors.

John Berry and James Pendleton signed the bond in 1771. On the back of the
document it states "Bond of John Berry and Capt. James Pendleton. On the
back it also gives an accounting on May 25, 1775 for the amounts 60.5.0,
10.5.10=70.10.10, 10.0.3=60.10.7 Received by James "can't make out last
name",  it also states "Berry dead".

The complaint from Mr. Mitchell states some of the following;

In Culpeper, March 18, 1771, John Berry Sen obliged himself to be held and
firmly bound to the said John Mitchell in the said L120.10 to be paid on
demand.

From this information I have given can anyone tell me if this was a loan,
servitude, or something else?

Any help would be appreciated.