VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:50:05 -0400
Project Background:
The Trant/Trent surname Y-DNA Project was established to create a growing
databank of DNA profiles of Trant/Trent lineages to aid in genealogical
research. DNA analysis assists in supporting or refuting the premise that
participants descend from a common ancestor. Family Tree DNA (FTDNA)
affiliated with Dr. Michael Hammer and the University of Arizona, will be
testing the Y-Chromosome for genetic matches between males. Results are
placed in FTDNA's Y-DNA database. The lab tests the Y-Chromosome which is
passed down through an unbroken male lineage (father to son to son, etc.),
so you must be a male with the Trant/Trent surname, or the biological son of
a father with the Trant/Trent surname in order to participate. For a female
to determine her paternal ancestry, she must use the Y-Chromosome of a male
on her father's side - her brother, father, father's brother, grandfather, etc.

Project Goals:
This Trant/Trent family project has been started to help researchers on
common or related families to work together to find their common heritage.
We hope to identify the DNA of Trant/Trent ancestor families in America as
well as Europe and compile them and their lost branches into distinct
genetic lineages through DNA matches.

I am reposting this notice because I originally failed to mention that the
TRANT surname is part on this project. We know that there are instances of a
person who is called Trant during one time period and later referred to as
Trent. Also we see the same person with his name spelled both ways during a
relatively short time span. This is often due to what the writer thought he
heard, however both surnames are distinct. If you decide to participate, be
sure that you join through the group link and not as an individual, as there
is a discount price for being part of a surname project. Please contact our
Group Administrator: Sharon Carter [log in to unmask] if you have any
questions. Below is the link to our project.
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Trent%20Y%2DDNA%20Project/