VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2009

From:
Lane Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:22:54 -0800
William,

excellent topics for discussion.

I am extremely interested in the Dower and Coverture terms after trying to determine how my female ancestor was able to sell some land.

I HIGHLY recommend the following book:  Women and the Law of Property in Early America by Marylynn Salmon, The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill and London, 1986.

After reading this book I was able to determine why my ancestor (living in southwest Virginia) was able to sell her property.  One more note.  It is important to remember the diversity in colonial law between the colonies and then the states.  This book is a tremendous help in sorting that out.

Lane Alexander