VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
"Donald W. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald W. Moore
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:32:13 -0500
On Jan 29, 2008, at 8:59 PM, Ronald Whitaker wrote:

> I agree with your logic, Donald, but there is nothing like reading
> through those musty volumes at the courthouse and viewing the
> horizons that one's ancestors experienced.  It always gives me
> renewed strength when I can tread on the land where they have lived
> and died.  However, it is a tradeoff... what dollar value can one
> place on the aesthetics of such a trip vs the actual cost of such a
> trip.
>
> Ronald L. Whitaker

Very few court house records have been digitized and posted on
Ancestry so that we can pay "obscene" subscriptions to view them. So,
court house trips are still necessary and fun. I started off many
years ago sitting in the record room vault of the county clerks office
taking notes on 3x5 index cards. And still do occasionally. And my
great-great-grandfather's family cemetery is half a mile down the road
from where I live. I would not give up the many chances I have to
visit it for anything in the world.