VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:06:22 GMT
This is a version of some findings that I posted on the Virginia History list. This information concerns my ancestor, Mary Bowden, who I chronicle in my book, Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color. I have been trying to figure out who Mary's parents were, or at least her mother. The information I have in the book deals more with her
life after the indenture to the Washington's. We know that Mary Bowden, was born in 1730, in Westmoreland County Virginia, and according to the
laws of the time, her mother was supposed to be a white woman.

The law was aimed at the mixed raced children of white
women. However, it appears that Mary's' mother was a
Mulatto woman (see court transcript), who did not fall
under the laws. Mary was not indentured until the age
of seven, and lived with a family named Chilton. I
found her mother and possibly grandmother, and it
appears that her name was also Mary. The Monroe
mentioned in the records, William and Andrew, are the
Grandfather, and father of President James Monroe.

This is a copy of the information I found of the
person I believe to be  Mary's mother. The source is,
WESTMORELAND COUNTY, VIRGINIA COURT ORDERS
1705-1787, Library of Virginia microfilm reel
nos.55-61

1. 27 May 1730
p.328a
Grand Jury vs Mary Munroe (Mulatto Woman }
Ordered that the Sheriff of this County do summon Mary
a Mulato serv. woman belonging to Wm Munroe of the
parish of Washington to be ? ... bastard child born of
her body ... (very dark film)

2. 27 August 1730
p.338
Mary a Mulatto servant to William Monroe of Washington
parish being presented by the grand jury at May Court
last for having a bastard child on or about the 20th
of February last past which being now Called and the
Court taking the Same under Consideration they are of
opinion that the Mulatto women are Not within the
penalty of the Law Against Bastardy,  they being by
the Law of the Country prohibited marriage with white
men, And therefore It ordered that the presentment be
Dismiss.

I was looking for evidence of Mulatto women who had
children in Westmoreland County, in 1730. This was the
only Mulatto woman, who fit the time date, and
proximity. Yet, I needed more evidence to soldify my
claim. I was able to connect the following information
to Mary Bowden, by the last names of Monroe, and
Chilton. Mary Bowden, was living in the household of
Thomas Chilton when she was Indentured to the
Washingtons.

The following is an abstract of Mary Watts' will:

Will: Made 3 April 1737, proved 26 April 1737.
Granddaughter Elizabeth Sanford; Capt. Andrew Munroe
and his wife Jane to have care of her estate until she
is 18 years of age; son John Watts; son James Bowcock
and his children Thomas, James, and Jane; son Richard
Watts; daughters Jane Munroe, Margaret Strother, and
Mary Blackburn and the latter's husband Mr. Richard
Blackburn; Capt. Thomas Chilton and his wife Jemima 1
mourning ring each; Rev. Roderick McCullough a
mourning ring.

This indicates that Bowcock was not her maiden name
but was her first husband's name. Also by the
reference to Capt. Thomas Chilton and his wife Jemima
(this would be Jemima Cooke), I believe that her
maiden name was Chilton, the daughter of John Chilton
Jr. and sister to Thomas.

As you see from the will, she lists not only her
children from both marriages, but also her Bowcock
grandchildren. This Will is connected to the seven year old child,  Mary Bowden, who was living in the household of Thomas Chilton,
when she was Indentured. It is interesting that she was indentured in 1737, the same year Mary Watts died. The children the older Mary was caring for may have been Mary Blackburns children. The second Mary could well have been, Mary Bowden's grandmother. As is mentioned
in the court document, a Mary, servant of William Monroe, was accused of having a bastard child, in 1730, but not convicted. That Mary seems a likely candidate for the mother of Mary Bowden.

It is possible that the grandmother Mary was no longer able to keep her grandchild from being indentured out. This is a partial answer but raises more questions. There is the question of why Mary Bowdens', last name was changed from Bowcock. There are other questions that arise as well. One of the questions is why so many surnames were living under one roof, Monroe, Watts, Bowcock, and Blackburn. It seems like several generations were co existing under one roof, or on one plantation.

If anyone has input feel free to jump in.

Anita