VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:47:17 -0400
HI All,
I am currently in the process of writing articles on each of the descendants
of the 10 children of my ancestor who died in 1804 in Northampton County,
NC.  In writing a narrative description, I am able to explain my reasoning!
I have also included the abstracts of deeds and other court records as well
as the full text of wills.  This does not make for really exciting reading!
And I footnote everything I can.  Footnoting is tedious, but it is
necessary.  Ancestry is good for some documentation, but it does not have
much in the way of wills, etc. The rental of microfilm reels at the LDS
Family History Center has been extremely helpful for me.  My genealogy
papers are a real mess and in writing the articles, I have been forced to
sort them out and get them organized.
Those with minds that are made up will not listen to reason and I do not try
to contact them or encourage them to contact me.  I do hear from researchers
(vs. compilers) who have read some of the articles.  These are people who
understand the importance of documentation and common sense.   I really
appreciate hearing from them.
One last note--- In the process of doing the writing, I have sometimes
changed a line of descent because the text highlighted errors or lapses of
logic that I had not noticed before. Think about writing your own family
history.
Bonnie