VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:26:47 -0400
Those who wish to turn service for their country into a country club exclusivity are beneath contempt. Military discipline of the period was harsh, and these fines, while small to our thinking, are quite large. For example, a private in the Union Army during the Civil War made $13 a month, so $1.50 is more than 10% of his salary. I doubt the financial differences were much different four decades before.

Unfortunately, being on the militia roles does not prove service in the militia (all able-bodied white males of a certain age were expected to be part of the militia). Nor does service in the militia prove active service in the War of 1812. The spotty records for the 19th Century leave many such questions even for a war as thoroughly documented as the Civil War, where I'm more well-versed.

Bill Cross