VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:12:26 EST
Fellow Virginia Researchers --

The following mercifully short (though their heirs probably wished they were
longer) inventories of Christopher and Ellenor Robertson I transcribed from a
hard-to-read negative image microfilm of Amelia County Will Book 1.  ????
indicates illegible.   I'm still a neophyte at this.  Both of them died
intestate.  Their estates were combined in 1750, and the estate sale was not
completed until ten years later.  I haven't looked for their settlement
records.   Feel free to use the inventories at will.

Ellenor's surname is not known, and Christopher's descent from the earlier
Prince George Co Robertsons can only be speculated because of the loss of
early records.

My descent from this couple is through son Henry whose daughter Susannah
married Vincent Shelton, son of Crispen & Letitia Shelton.  One of Henry's
other daughters, Chloe, married Vincent's older brother Abraham.  These
couples and pretty much every other Shelton, and some of the Robertsons in
Amelia Co moved to Pittsylvania Co (Lunenberg, Halifax, etc.) in the
mid-1700s.  I  posted Henry Robertson's will earlier, and it is also in the
Amelia Co UsGenweb archives as well --
ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/amelia/wills/rbrtsn1.txt

I apologize in advance for the multiple postings, but I know there are people
on each list with an interest in Prince George Co Robertsons, and many in
this couple in particular.  Please let me know if you see anything that
doesn't look right.

FYI, for those of you who do research or might research at the DAR Library in
Washington DC, in the basement among their miscellaneous state records is
what appears to be a complete set of Amelia Co Will Book microfilms until at
least near the end of the 1800s.  They are very poorly indexed, however.

Best Wishes for a Wonderful Holiday Season!  And I'll report back on how many
viruses come my way as a result of this <smile>

Janet (Baugh) Hunter

Inventories are from Will Book 1 on pages as noted.

***Inventory and appraisement  of the Estate of Christopher Robertson
Deceased returned 19th of May 1749 (Page 53)

(Note: Value in pounds/shillings/pence -- Values were in text or column in
the inventory and separated by a combination of dashes, slashes and/or
periods.  I have made them all separated by slashes for easier reading.)

1 parcel of Hoggs   1/12/0
1 horse bridle and Saddle   2/0/0
1 bead beadstead and furniture  3/5/0
1 small bead and furniture    2/0/0
1 loome and gear  0/12/6
a parcell of old puter  0/15/6
1 old table 2/6 a parcell of Wooden ware  7/6    0/10/0
1 Earthen Plate .6 a parcell old Iron 3/    0/3/6
Bells and Collar    0/4/00
1 Parcell of  knives and Forks   1/2/6
1 Iron pott 1 frying Pann & 1 Kettle  9/9/0
1 Pair pott hooks and Rack 1/1/6
1 Old Spinning Wheale and Cards  1/4/6
1 Old Chest -1/1 1 Old Sifter  0/4/7
Cash   3./9/2

            Total 15/19/10

Ellenar Robertson Exr.

John Smith
Thos Tanner
Lawrence Brown (B his mark)

At a Court held for Amelia County the x/x day of May 1749 This Inventory of
the Estate of Christopher Robertson decd was entered by Elenor Robertson
Relict of the decd Christopher and ordered to be be recorded

Saml Cobbs (Clerk)

_______________________

***The Inventory of  the Estate of Ellennor Robertson Deceas'd   (Page 66)

To a Horse bridle and Saddle ??????  1/15/0
To a???and P?gg??   0/15/0
To one Bed bedstead and f5urniture  2/10/0
To one Small Ditto  2/2/0
To two Small ???  0/7/0
To a parcell of old Pewter    0/10/0
To one Loom and Gear    0/12/6
To a parcel of old Lumber  0/8/0
To one Chest and Spinning Wheal   0/8/0
To Some old Iron 2/6/0 & Some Ironware 0/9/0    0/11/6
To one Small Bell 0/2/0 & ?? Table 0/2/6    0/4/6
To one Small Cask 0/1/6 One boule 0/0/3    0/1/9
To one parcell of Corn   0/15/0
To one parcell of Bacon   1/0/0
To one old Drawing knife and a Boule  0/1/6
To one old Hammer   0/0/7 1/2
To Cash    4/15/6   .

            Total 16/17/10  1/2

??? Executed

???? Inventory of the above

Edward Robertson Admr

Appr
Thomas Tanner
Robt Moody
John Smith

At a Court held for Amelia County the 15th Day of May 1750 the above
Inventory of the Estate of5 Elenor Robertson Deceased was entered by Edward
Robertson Administrator and ordered to be Recorded

Samuel Cobbs (Clerk)
_______________________

SOME RELATED COURT RECORDS

***Amelia Co Order Book 2 (From Abstract)

Court Held December 16, 1748 (Christopher)
-- Ellinor Robertson, widow and relict of Christopher Robertson, granted
administration of her husband's estate.  Edward Robertson & Matthew Cabiness
security.
-- Ordered John Smith, Thomas Tanner, James Oliver, Lawrence Browne or any
three to appraise estate of Christopher Robertson, make return.

Court Held April 20,1750 (Ellenore)
-- Edward Robertson granted admin of estate of Eleanor Robertson.  Matthew
Cabanis, security
-- Thomas Tanner, John Smith, Robert Moody and Lawrence Browne, or any three
to appraise estate of Elonar Robertson and Make Return

***May 22 1760 -- Joint Sale of Both Estates -- Note it is ten years later.

Will Book 1, page 167  -- (From Abstract Book)

Robertson, Christopher and Ellenor.  Est. settlement ordered April 16, 1759,
ret. May 22, 1760.  Appr. Charles Irby & Winn.  Admin Edw Robertson.
Sales of both estates 19/14/5 1/2.  Names Mentioned -- Alexander ERSKINE,
Colo COBBS, Thomas
ALSUP, George CURRIE, Robert ROWLAND.