VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2017

From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:37:06 +0000
Dear Susan,

It has been some time that I have dealt with midwives in the historical record, but finding them or following them through a period or over a career is difficult, unless you have a situation like your where the woman is identified as being engaged in that profession, and you have corroborating evidence as you do.  My understanding is that licensure and tracking are later 20th century developments.  I'll have to look back at my sources to suggest some texts that address midwifery at least in part, but you may be interested in the following master's thesis: https://theses.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-04272007-142756/unrestricted/cmthesiscopy7_11.pdf

Best of luck

John