VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:09:48 -0500
the Shockoe records for cause of death, location of death [usually
one's home], and occupation in many cases, were interesting and, one
assumes, were fairly accurate [confirm, confirm, confirm]. So if you
have someone buried in Shockoe, it's worth looking into. You really
have to search websites to find out what some of those old diseases
were, though. "Summer complaint" and "Phthisis" and others. I am
highly suspicious of the layout of the various plots, though. Some
have a large number of people in one relatively small area of ground
[and yes, some were buried atop others, but still...]. Others say
there was no burial in one spot when, with the sun low, you can SEE
that there was a burial there, the ground is sunken in.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone