VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:29:10 -0400
Even with the early censuses the enumerators went from house to house
systematically, lane by lane, road by road, plantation by plantation.
Whether the next property was 50 feet over or five miles, it was still,
literally, the "next door," and the nearest neighbor.  The real trick is to
figure out what direction the enumerator was riding, then you can plot out
whole areas.