VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:34:07 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice from anyone who might have been involved in a DNA
study to determine ancestry...Particularly the number of samples needed and
whether "controls", ie, other possibilities were included.

My case...
I am in the process of getting cousins together to support a DNA study
regarding the ancestry of my great grandfather Hugh Lawson White Hill, b.
March 1840, in Warren Co TN.  There is a great deal of circumstantial
evidence that his father is Hugh Lawson White Hill, b. 1810, a Congressman
and son of a man, Henry John Alexander Hill, who had two families, legit and
not legit, who lived side by side, buried with both wife & consort, etc.
(It's all on "the web" several places).

Circumstantial evidence regarding HLW Hill b. 1840, is HLW Hill, b. 1810 --
among other evidence, he gave no sons any version of his name (a shocker for
that family), proximity, info at the time regarding the possible father's
"love" of women, and a letter I am still trying to find stating that  HLW
Hill, b. 1810, had a bastard (how mine's descendants refer to him) right
before his May wedding and the bride was ticked off mightily about it and
everyone knew.  FYI, the will of HLW b. 1810, relevant estate papers are
lost, burned, etc.

Anyway, in going through my aunt's old letters, I find that she thought at
one point maybe he was a Miller (living with Miller family in 1850), and got
mad, ran away in 1854, dropped the Miller part.  He DID later go back to
Warren Co, retrieve Miller children he called his half siblings, etc. and
brought them to Lawrence Co Missouri.  Of course, MILLER could be via the
mother.

Anyway, I have four of my HLW Hill, b. 1840s, grandsons still alive, at least
three of whom I am sure I could get samples.  I have no doubt I can find
descendants of Henry John Alexander Hill willing to participate (all expenses
paid, of course), as we have actually been accepted as part of the family
(also "on the web").  I don't think I can find a descendant of the Miller
"half-siblings" that came to Missouri, because the one male went to "Yoming"
per letter of 1885.  But I am looking.

I have followed DNA studies on a couple of other lines and am always struck
by the fact that they are based on minimal samples, with little thought to
comparisons with persons of the same name.  I've never seen the details of
any results to be able to interpret the "it's a match" claims, but have been
led to believe that variations do appear over time.  It seems as though
usually (Jefferson studies excepted), there are two, maybe three samples
involved.

Anyway, I realize what I am thinking about is a bit complicated, but would
appreciate any advice.   I took too many science classes in high school and
college.  (Never again!  Astronomy did me i).  Maybe I am complicating it too
much.  Maybe if a DNA study shows a "match" with Henry JA's descendants, I
can conclude that we are of that clan, if nothing else (and yes, I do know
exactly which of his sons, cousins might also be the "culprits" shall we say).

FYI.  Of the four grandchildren in question, three descend from different
sons, and I know two are tickled pink (origins of that expression??) about
the whole thing.

Thanks in advance,  There are a whole lot of folks that would be happy to get
some better "evidence".

Janet (Baugh) Hunter