VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Holly Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holly Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:29:52 -0700
At 09:00 PM 7/19/2003, you wrote:
>searching for suggestions: Joshua David Reed Norfolk 1820-1885

An 1885 death record (city or county death register) will typically name
the parents, if the informant knew who they were. Have you tried that? You
can get death records on interlibrary loan through your local library from
the Lib. of VA in Richmond. Also you should move backward through the
census to find him in 1870, 1860, and hopefully 1850 with his parents. Are
the 2 Joshuas of similar age? Try the Willow Bend or Heritage Books
websites to see if there are published, indexed books on Norfolk wills.

I did a quick check and found him in the 1860 census (I assume it's him
because he has Horace, age 2, among his children). If you don't have this
entry, let me know and I'll transcribe it for you.

--Holly