VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:10:07 -0500
A question has been asked as to why there would be glass bottles of oil found in east coast shipwrecks of the Civil War era.

In WV and western PA, there were and are yet to be found oil wells that produce extremely fine and highly volatile petroleum, many so fine and pure that such can be put directly in your automobile, used as sewing machine or penetrating oil, and used as a lubricant for lathes and bearing surfaces generally.

It also was and yet is used widely for skin afflictions (eczema, etc.), itches, bug bites, "eruptions", and the like.  Indeed, many women have for now 150+ years used that high grade oil to provide sheen and to clean their hair.  It kills all manner of itchy scalp, bugs, and other scalp surface infections and makes their hair truly glisten.  I regularly supplied a couple of nice old ladies when I was in the oil business up there 35 years ago and had it available from some of my well-owning friends.

Some wells even have yellow and pink very pure and crystal clear oil.  It was known by the early Indians (even before the 18th century) and widely known to settlers after Drake's PA discovery well of 1858/9.

It should come as no surprise that bottles of it were carried on ships and kept in medicine cabinets of the Civil War years.  Paul