VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:00:34 EDT
In a message dated 7/8/2003 3:19:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Those pages that contain the words Warrant No: 1613 also contain the words
> "The Heirs of David Hatcher, dec'd, private, 640 Acres". I believe this is a
> generic use of "heirs" since the military was not likely concerned with the
> number of heirs.

Hi Nel (and Paul),

To disagree a bit, my understanding is that under primogeniture, based on my
own Rev. War research, the "heir" of a fellow is first his eldest brother (not
his father unless he has no brothers).  The brothers all come next.  If he
has/had several then they all preceed poor Dad in order.

IF David were John's eldest brother then... I would say that John was a
brother.  Think of the English monarchy...Succession doesn't (generally, except
when there are no male heirs) go back up the line to the oldsters but over (to
brothers then cousin boys) and down.

BTW, Nel..where did all this happen????  Do you have specific land grants to
go with?

My best, Janet Hunter