VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 05:47:24 -0500
Hello,

I am trying to find information on the STROTHER family of
Westmoreland/King George Co.  My 6th or 7th g-grandparents were Mary
STROTHER and John SETTLE of Westmoreland Co.  Mary had a half-brother,
William STROTHER, who owned land on Nominy Creek, Westmoreland Co.  Mary
and John's son, Isaac SETTLE, is also one of my ancestors.

A book on the SETTLE family states:

"By deed dated 29 Oct 1734, Isaac Settle purchased from his
father-in-law, Maxfield BROWNE, '. . . all that tract of land whereon he
(Maxfield Browne) now liveth, . . . lying and being in Parish of Hanover
in the County of King George.'  The consideration was 3,200 pounds of
tobacco.  This tract of land containg 100 acres, '. . . with all houses,
outhouses, tobacco houses, barns, building and edifiros, whatsoever,
Garders, Orchards, woods, underwoods, ways, water and water courses . .
.', was bound by the lands of John SETTLE, Sr. (my ancestor), Joseph
SETTLE, Joseph DODD, and Captain BENJAMIN STROTHER.  The deed was
witnessed by Joseph SETTLE and Sid LIGHTBURN (Deed Book 1-A, pp.
314-315, King George Co.).

If Capt. BENJAMIN STROTHER lived next to John SETTLE, Sr., and John
Settle was married to Mary STROTHER, it would make me think that perhaps
Mary and Benjamin STROTHER were related.

If any of you have any information on Benjamin STROTHER, I would
certainly appreciate hearing from you.  I will be happy to trade
information.

Have a great day.

Sharon Clark
Fort Worth, TX