VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:24:06 -0600
From: Paul Drake
To: A.J....
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 8:12 AM
Subject: militia

Hi, Ann.  You must reread your sources to determine whether or not they were "regulars" - full time soldiers - sent there from the Mother Country or were, instead, militia.  VERY briefly, all would have been in the King's service, as were all armed men in the English colonies.  Those raised locally to protect the citizenry quite usually were known and ranked as militia.  The Royal Governor would have picked the "Commander" of the militia, and he would have named his subordinate officers subject to the approval of the Governor and Council.  The militiamen often elected their lesser officers.  The armed forces of England were senior in rank to the militia.   Paul