VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:13:16 -0800
  For whatever it's worth:   I had terrible results using a USB (external) drive as backup.  Was infected with malicious code (yes, I had security programs), and when I unknowingly activated it I was using my USB.  I lost everything in both drives.  All files, all photos, everything!  With restoration software I was able to get back maybe 60% of the files and none of the photos on the USB.  A friend took my main drive into HTP where he works, and was able to restore one file.  Lucky for me, it was my 2 year old FTM files  that I had "deleted".  None of the updated FTMs were recovered.

  I now use CDs AND the USB, and I never leave the USB on other than to load a backup.  Still want acid paper and hardcopy.

  Joanne

Debbie's Genealogy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I just recommended to a friend that if you don't have access to a network
that one of the most practical ideas today is a USB drive, attached to your
computer...but I believe in multiple backups.