VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2014

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 19:26:43 +0000
WHAT'S NEW IN RELIC
September 2014

The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC), Prince William Public Library System, Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA 20109.  703-792-4540  Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

To read the latest lists of new materials available in RELIC click on What's New in RELIC<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/RELIC/Pages/What%27s-New-in-RELIC.aspx>.

Please note that we reopen for Sunday service on September 7.  We are closed for the Labor Day weekend, August 30-September 1.

HIGHLIGHTING RELIC'S
REVOLUTIONARY WAR RESOURCES

RELIC has a range of basic sources to help researchers identify ancestors who served in the American Revolution (1775-1783).   For a list of many of the titles we offer see the following link: Revolutionary Genealogy<http://librarycatalog.pwcgov.org/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.3&type=Keyword&term=revolution%20genealogy&by=SU&sort=CALL_AU&limit=TOM=*&query=&page=0&searchid=5> .  Since our collection is focused on Virginia, soldiers from the Commonwealth are especially well represented, but a number of our resources cover the entire nation.  Our materials include books, maps, CD-ROM databases, and microfilm.

RELIC PROGRAMS

Here are our latest offerings.  Funding for selected RELIC programs is provided by the Friends of Central and Bull Run Libraries.  To be notified of upcoming programs and new resources in RELIC, visit eNotifications/subscribe<http://eservice.pwcgov.org/eServices/eNotifications/subscribe.aspx>  and select Library - What's New in RELIC.  Unless otherwise stated, all these programs will take place at the community room at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA.  Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes.  You may register for any of these programs at 703-792-4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.   For details see RELIC Programs<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/RELIC/Pages/RELIC-Programs.aspx>.

September 11, 11 a.m. - The DAR Library: Researching the Revolution and Beyond, with Eric Grundset.
September 20, 7-11 p.m.  - RELIC After Dark, with John Colletta.  $
September 30, 7 p.m. - Genealogy 201: Beyond the Basics, with Tish Como.
October 9, 11 a.m. - Genealogy 101: Getting Started, with Beverly Veness.
October 28, 7 p.m. - The Men Who Lost America, with author Andrew Jackson O'Shaughnessy.
November 18, 7 p.m. - Before Virginia: Finding the Origins of Colonial Immigrants, with Victor Dunn, CG.

          "Genealogy Doctor": free counseling (contact us for an appointment).

For a comprehensive list of upcoming genealogical programs scheduled in the Washington metropolitan area we recommend you see Harold's List, compiled monthly by genealogist Harold McClendon of Mount Vernon, Virginia:  http://mvgenealogy.org/PDFs/Upcoming_Genealogy_Events.pdf or email him at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to subscribe.

THE DAR LIBRARY: RESEARCHING
THE REVOLUTION AND BEYOND
Presented by Eric Grundset

DAR Library Director Eric Grundset will present a program at Bull Run Regional Library on Thursday, September 11, 2014, at 11 a.m. describing one of the nation's largest collections devoted to genealogy and local history and its potential value for your research.
Since its founding in 1896, the Daughters of the American Revolution Library has grown into a huge specialized collection of American genealogical and historical manuscripts and publications, as well as powerful on-site databases.  The library, open to all, is located in Washington, D.C.  Non-members pay a small research fee.
To register for this free program please contact RELIC at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or at (703) 792-4540.

REGISTRATIONS NEARLY FULL FOR
TENTH ANNUAL "RELIC AFTER DARK"
FEATURING JOHN PHILIP COLLETTA.

There are still a few seats available for our special fall event.  Our tenth annual "RELIC After Dark," will be held on Saturday evening, September 20, 2014, from 7 to 11 p.m., at Bull Run Regional Library.  We've engaged nationally known genealogist and popular speaker John Philip Colletta to return after a five year absence.  His topic: "Is Any Body There? - Tracking Ancestral Remains."   It is a humorous account of some of his experiences searching for burial places of ancestors, along with lessons on finding ancestral graves and conducting genealogical research in general.  The event, costing $25 per person, will include a buffet dinner, with assorted beverages, and allow opportunity to do your own genealogical research using RELIC's facilities.  Enjoy free printing from electronic resources and from microfilm reader-printers.  Seating is limited, so please contact RELIC staff at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 703-792-4540 to make a reservation.

GENEALOGY 201:  BEYOND THE BASICS
Presented by Tish Como

Genealogy 101 introduced basic resources and techniques for researching your family's history.   Genealogy 201 presents alternate resources to enhance your family's history and advanced search techniques to help maximize your results from online databases including census records, passenger lists, maps, and books.   RELIC's Tish Como will present this program on Tuesday, September 30, at 7 p.m., at  Bull Run Regional Library.
To reserve a seat for this free program, contact RELIC at (703) 792-4540 or at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

GENEALOGY 101: GETTING STARTED
Presented by Beverly Veness

Those curious about their family history have an opportunity to learn about methods, strategies and resources for tracing their roots.  This free 90-minute program, conducted by Beverly Veness of the RELIC staff, will highlight the numerous free genealogical resources available at RELIC and will explore basic techniques for tracking ancestors.
This program will also be presented at Bull Run Regional Library, on Thursday, October 9, at 11 a.m.  To register please contact RELIC at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or at (703) 792-4540.

NOTED AUTHOR TO TALK ABOUT
HIS AWARD-WINNING BOOK ON
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

On Tuesday, October 28, at 7:00 p.m., we welcome noted author Andrew Jackson O'Shaughnessy, Ph.D., who will talk about his book "The Men Who Lost America: British Leadership, the American Revolution and the Fate of the Empire."  This title won Dr. O'Shaughnessy both the 2014 George Washington Book Prize, which recognizes the year's best books on the nation's founding era, especially those that have the potential to advance broad public understanding of American history, and the 2014 New York Historical Society's annual American history book prize. He is the Vice President of the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Saunders Director of the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies and Professor of History at The University of Virginia.
To reserve a seat for this free program, please contact RELIC at (703) 792-4540 or at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

BEFORE VIRGINIA:
FINDING THE ORIGINS OF COLONIAL IMMIGRANTS
Presented by Victor Dunn

          Determining a Virginia immigrant's origins can be a challenge.   Certified genealogist Victor Dunn will show what sources and techiques are available to take your Virginia ancestry across the ocean.  The program will be held on Tuesday, November 18, at 7 p.m. at Bull Run Regional Library.
To reserve a seat for this free program, please contact RELIC at (703) 792-4540 or at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

"Genealogy Doctor" Accepting Appointments for Research Help

Don Wilson, head of RELIC, sets aside time each month for free private sessions to mentor persons researching their family history.  A thirty-minute session can be used to discuss and analyze an historical or genealogical problem that has stumped you.

Daytime and evening hours are possible.  To set up an appointment, please call RELIC at 703-792-4540 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .  Bull Run Regional Library is located at 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA 20109.

Have a question about Prince William County history, places or families?  Need guidance with your genealogical research?  You may contact RELIC staff for help and advice at Ask RELIC<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/RELIC/Pages/Ask-RELIC.aspx> or by calling us at 703-792-4540.   Hours, June to August (ET):  Monday-Thursday 10am-9pm, Friday-Saturday 10am-5pm. Closed Federal holidays.  On September 7 we'll resume Sunday service, noon-5pm.

#