VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:34:21 -0500
Ms. Mignon, I believe that, just like you, most folks who have done research for any considerable number of years have more material than they can, should or want to write about.  That being so, you must determine the objective for THIS book, not a different book sometime in the future.

I have found in teaching writing to adults that if a student will force himself/herself to write in 2 sentences what he/she intends as the message of the PRESENT book/effort, then he/she will be off and running.

So, what is it that you want your descendants to know about; what to tell them??  That will be the theme for the present effort.  Do you want them to realize that your folks were players in the great panorama of American history? Of the history of some other nation also?  Do you want to write about their stations in life and their travails?  Want to write about their pioneer spirit and willingness to move west despite what to us were tedious, if not impossible, hardships? Want to speak to the everyday lives of each passing generation?  How about writing as to their work, play and education? What about their religious affiliations and practices and the interplay of those aspects of life with their work-a-day world?  What about their education and how they achieved that and whether or not it really was necessary that they knew more than how to barely write?  What about their transportation and travels? On and on....

The point is that you can not write about every aspect of their lives; you have not enough life left even to do that about your OWN life. So, whether it be one of those ideas or some other, and whether or not you write as to a couple of those topics, you must have a target - a message.

Just as my preacher friend can't preach the whole Bible every Sunday, you can't write about your whole family in one book.

Finally, I would suggest that if you are unable to state what it is that you intend as the message to your descendants, then you sure can't write about it.  So, therein is your very first task.

Of my books, one was a 700 page family history.  Before I ever began I decided that my message would be that, with rare exception, we were a family of poor to middling hard working Americans who were exceedingly proud and served in all wars.  So it was that I wrote.  My message could have been VERY different, and had it been so I would have written about very different matters.  Once having made that decision I set out to do just that.  Oh yeh, when I got all done I chose a title, and because I had picked a message to convey the title worked and was/is "Now In Our Fourth Century; Some American Families".  You must choose your direction before you can begin doing anything by way of writing about it.

Paul