VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:52:06 -0400
Similarly I did not live through the FDR years and first recall Truman, but
DO recall my great aunt Sally Bedinger Hopkins in Alabama (but of Virginian
ancestry) complain about Daylight Savings Time. The argument, as I recall,
went that since city folk were now getting up an hour earlier, farmers had
to get up an hour earlier (before sunup) to get their milk to market in
time, and thereby lost an hour of sleep. Why did they not just knock off an
hour earlier? Because during summer there was so much work to be done that
one had to work as long as there was light. At any rate, that's the
argument as I remember it. There was no confusion that FDR had legislated
an hour more sunshine, but rather an hour less sleep.

St. George Tucker Ranson