VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 13:06:41 -0400
If there is an existing old home in the area that is associated with a family name try to find that family in the census and sometimes it will help you narrow down the location of other families.  If you cross check across the census years you can sometimes figure out how the census taker was traveling.  If you can get a fix on one family in the area of your family look for them on later censuses to see if road names are finally assigned.  It may or may not get you an exact location for your family but it can certainly narrow down the area.  We still have a lot of historic properties here in Charlotte County and I've had good luck using this method.  It's tedious but worth it (but isn't that the definition of most research?!).

Kathy