VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:54:19 EDT
Fellow Rob*son/Shelton/Southside VA Researchers:

I recently realized that the DAR Library has several microfilm reals of
Amelica Co Wills, so I made copies of the Will of Henry Robertson who died
between the date the will was written, 27 Oct 1781, and proven 27 June 1782.
I haven't had a chance to get his inventory yet. If any one has a better
death date I'd love to have it.

He was the son of Christopher Robertson who d. 1749 in Amelia Co (as shown in
land patents), whose wife is frequently listed at Sarah, but at his death he
was married to an  Ellenor, who dies not long after and their probates end up
being administered jointly.

The will does not mention by name all the "Small Children" of Henry's second
wife Tralucia  Stegar, widow of a Greenwood, but probably mentions all the
sons.  Also not mentioned is probably eldest daughter by first marriage Chloe
who married Abraham SHELTON, son of Crispen Shelton and Letitia.  Probably
oldest son Christopher is mentioned, but not given any bequests but probably
received his share before the will was written. I desend through daughter
Susannah who married Vincent SHELTON, brother of Abraham Shelton.  They and
at least Henry's son Christopher migrated to Pittsylvania Co. VA

Re the various Drury Robertsons, I note with interest that the land in the
will in Charlotte Co Va, adjoins that of a Drury Stith.

I have not studied these sons of Henry closely, but I know there is alot of
confusion about the various Amelia Co Robertsons (well about alot of the
Southside Robertsons for that matter), especially regarding the various
Christophers, Nathaniels, and Warning Peter Robertsons.  After the will I
will paste in two early emails on the Robertson list regarding this
particular family to provide a little background.  One is my own from 1998,
and a second comes from one of Shirley's posts from the Robertson reports in
1998.

I have tried to transcribe this faithfully, and my reading of some of the
names differs from that of the person who did the original abstract for the
will in the published volumes.  There is virtually no punctuation, and the
spelling is inconsistent.  If any of you have any questions or comments,
please feel free to let me know.  I know I don't have much of a future as a
transcriber :-)  It's darn hard work.

There is no copyright involved here, so feel free to pass it on as you wish.
I hope this helps someone out there.  I apologize for the cross-posting, but
there has been interest in these folks on several lists.

My best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter, formerly at [log in to unmask]

Will of Henry Robertson, 1782, Amelia Co VA

Transcribed from the microfilm of Amelia Co Will Book:3  page 123-5 Henry
Robertson,  27 Oct 1781  --   Proven: 27 June 1782

In the Name of God Amen. I Henry Robertson of Amelia County being sick and
weak but in perfect mind and memory do make and ordain this my last will &
Testament in manner an form following Vizt:

Item I give and bequeath to my son Warning Peter Robertson my Mill tract of
Land lying on both sides the falls of little Nottoway containing by patent
nine hundred and Seventy acres More or less allso my Mills and balling Cloth
on the falls allso my Will and desire is that if my Wife should want bread to
support her Children wilst they are raising under her that she be supply’d
with it out of the Mills. I allso give to my son Peter two Negros Miller Joe
and Val one feather bed and furniture allso a small beginning of Cattle Sheep
and Hogs but if my Son Warning Peter should die without a lawfull begotten
Heir of his body then my whole estate land & Negros divised to him be equally
divided between my three Sons Daniel, William Henry and John Robertson.

Item I Lend to my Daughter Susanna Shelton two Negroes Peg and Rissey and
their increase during her Natural life . I also give the above mentioned
Negroes and increase to such of her Children as she shall nominate in her
lifetime.

Item I give and bequeath to my three Sons David, Edward and William Henry
Robertson my Tract of Land Containing Fourteen Hundred Acres More or less
Lying in Charlotte County on the branches of the Buffalow and Blewstone
Creeks adjoining the lands of William Robertson, James ?Bardin?, George
?Massey? Newbys, and Drury Stith lines to be Equally Divided between them.

Item I lend to my wife Tralucia during her Widowhood or life the land and
plantation I now Live on to bring my Small Children up upon also an Equal
part with her said Children of the Slaves hereafter mentioned:. Vizt. Tom
Tobey Toney Judy and Mary which are out at Mehearin Also Great Toney, Brister
Jim Charles Joe Son of Hanner and  Ned also Hanner Amey Cat Jerroy Anthony
Isack Edey Millay And Lawney. Also my stock of Cattle Horses Sheep and Hogs.
My furniture of Difrent kinds. Also my  will and desire is that the aforesaid
Slaves and their Future increase to be Equally Divided between my Children
which I had by her the division to be made by my Executors when the first
Come of Age or Marry and so a Division to be made as they come of Age or
Marry one after the other.

Item I give and bequeath to my son Daniel Robertson my Land on the middle
fork of Mehearin joining my son Christopher Robertsons line adjudged to be
fore Hundred Acres More or less.

Item I give and bequeath to my son John Robertson that plantation whereon I
now live when he comes of Age.  Also my Butterwood tract of land to be sold
at the Direction of my Executors and the Money arising to be Equally Divided
between my five above mentioned Sons.

Item My Will and desire is that if Either ____ the above mentioned Brothers
should die without a lawfull begotten heir of his body that the part devised
to them to be Equally  divided between the Surviving Brothers above
mentioned. It is my desire that my Executors shall receive the Crops and lay
them out as they think proper for the Advantage of the Children. Also it is
my desire that any Bond that shall become due hereafter shall be at the
discretion of my Executors to Lay out or put to Interest as they shall think
proper and shall be equally Divided between my two son Daniel and John
Robertson when either of them shall come of age, also it is my desire that
there shall be no appraisment of my Estate.

Item I do hereby revoke & disanul all other wills by me made confirming this
to be my last Will and Testament and appoint my two sons Christopher and
Warning Peter Robertson Executors to this my last will and Testament.  In
Witness where I do here unto set my hand & affix my seal this twenty seventh
day of October One thousand seven hundred and Eighty one.

Signed Sealed & Published in Presence of
Richd Jones, Junr               Henry Robertson
Will. FitzGerrald
Ro: FitzGerrald

CNIDR Isearch-cgi 1.20.06 (File: 105)