VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:44:50 -0400
Good question Pat,

I don't know the answer but would like to.

My great grandfather was a police officer in the
City of Norfolk during the early 1900's.
Being bold one day I called the Norfolk Police Dept.
(non-emergency number) asked for the
personnel department and was put through.
I told them what I was seeking and they said that
they'd get back to me. I figured I'd be lucky to hear
back from them in 6 months. Less than 2
hours later they called back, told me that they had
his employment records and offered to mail me copies.
Through what they sent I learned
that he prior to joining the police dept. had worked
for N&W as a fireman.

You might want to contact the rail road to see if they
have records. I don't think your success with be as swift
as mine was because I'm sure that they will have
many more records to sort through than the
police dept. Which at the time of my g-grandfather's
employment consisted of less than 20 men on horse back.

My husband works for the rail road. He started in 1979
working for N&W. In the early 80's N&W merged with
Southern to make Norfolk Southern Rail Road. Contact
the personnel dept. at NS to see if they can help.
Good luck with your uncle.

Vicki Ford in Virginia