VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 15:11:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/6/2004 8:57:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Peter Arundell arrived in Va. in 1821 and lived near Buck Row Va.  He died
> there about 1624.  He is said to have been born in France.  He was a member
> of
> the Virginia Company.  Could a French born person be a member of the Va. Co.?
> Could a commoner be a member of the Va. Co.?  He has not been identified in
> so
> far as I know as a gateway ancestor.  It would appear to me that as a member
> of the Virginia Co. he should have those credentials. What do  you list
> members
> say or know about Peter Arundel?
>
> Jno

John,

You may already have these lists, but all three Charters of the Virginia
Company are online many times.  I found these first at the Univeristy of Oklahoma
Law School website.  There are long lists of names for both the third and
second Charters, but not the first.  There is a John Arundell, and Peter Brundell
(maybe mistake?) on the Third Charter.   The Second Charter lists occupations
of many and it appears that there were commoners involved.

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/vchart3.html
http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/vchart2.html
http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/vchart1.html

I'm not sure what you mean by a Gateway ancestor? I know one definition
"requires" the ancestor to be a descendant of nobility.   But the Virginia "Ancient
Planters" date is generally given as in VA before 1616 or so I think.  See
www.ancientplanters.org.

Hope this helps a little.

Janet Hunter