VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Eve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:55:15 -0400
Greetings All!Dr. Elaine Vinson, a great-niece of Dr. John Smallwood, who founded an early 20th century school for Black youth at Claremont, VA, is writing his biography for his niece, who is herself now 104 years old. I have shared with Dr. Vinson information that I have about Dr. Smallwood. This is a request for all who have information about Dr. Smallwood or his school to please contact me, and I will put you in touch with her.The school was called The Temperance, Industrial and Collegiate Institute in 1906. After Dr. Smallwood's death in 1912, the name was changed to Smallwood Memorial Institute and later to Smallwood-Corey Industrial Institute. We would also very much like to hear from anyone who attended the school or is descended from someone who did.Please pass this on to all who might have information.Thanks!Eve S. Gregory, Web Mistress
Surry County, Virginia, Historical Society and Museums, Inc.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaschsm/
Surry County VaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vasurry/
Sussex County VaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vasussex/
Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it!
http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01