VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2012

From:
Charlie&Sue Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:01:33 -0400
They could get to Little Falls in Washington, DC, before they would have
to portage.  The next obstacle is Great  Falls, just north of DC.

Check out the C&O Canal.  It started operating in 1831, so it wasn't an
option for you ancestors, but it has information on the height difference
(605 ft) and 74 locks to Cumberland, MD.  So, there would be at least 74
portages.

Google it, or here's the wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26O_Canal

Sue