VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Warren A Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:02:56 -0500
Site comes up as an "error"

W.

I believe Footnote has an agreement with the National Archives to make certain
records available online; pension records being a part of that agreement.  As
others have done, I also urge you to give Footnote a try.

>However, when I found my man using the Search, it says I have to join to get
>a copy.  Wouldn't be so bad except there are multiple pages for William
>Milburn in Virginia without notation as to region.

Footnote lists every paper that was submitted to a pensioner's file.
Applications, service records, affidavits of witnesses, letters from others
verifying the pensioner's service, etc. are all included.  Once a member brings
up a particular record, the entire list of records pertaining to that file is
viewable.   Membership allows one to view every page, save every image and print
good quality images of found documents.

If your ancestor was granted bounty land for service, and that bounty was in
Kentucky, you may be able to find a record at the Ky. Sec. of State website;
many of those are online.  That URL is:  http://www.sos.ky.gov/land/<http://www.sos.ky.gov/land/>

All the best in finding your ancestor!

R Burnett Jenkins