VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:00:30 EST
A few days ago I sent an e-mail inquiry looking for marriage bonds of female
FERGUSONs in Kanawha Co., VA from 1835 - 1865. It turns out the two I found
that are very interesting were married in Kanawha before that. Thank you to
so many that replied with information.

I have found two candidates I am interested in pursuing. One is Nancy
FERGUSON, who married Gilmore THOMPSON in Kanawha in 1830. Gilmore and Nancy
named almost all of their Children with first names that have family
connections to David FERGUSON & Susanna LANHAM of Albemarle. In addition,
Sarah FERGUSON, who married Lewis BLAKE in Kanawha in 1831, named a Daughter
Nancy and a few of her other Children after family names. Sarah was living
next to David P. FERGUSON in Mason Co., VA in 1840 with her Husband Lewis,
who died in 1848 (Rootsweb Info). Sarah, 41, is head of household in the 1850
VA Census in Cabell Co. with Nancy her Daughter, 22, and the rest of her
Children. She is living in the next Census listing to a John BLAKE, 24, her
Son most likely. John could very well be a Brother, which is a Family name.

If anyone connects to these people please contact me. My ultimate goal in
this investigation is to connect my GGG Grandmother Susan FERGUSON to David &
Susanna LANHAM. I'm well on my way, and hope to find a Will or Deed for David
in Albemarle or Kanawha that names Susan. I will be in Charleston, WV in
early April to visit the Archives and hopefully will tie this down. Thank
you. Tim