VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2007

From:
Jeanine Scholz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanine Scholz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:52:59 -0400
I think that looking at the areas of Virginia that were close to St. Mary's
County, MD makes good sense and will do that, thanks.

My suspicion is that Richard Highfield's master was not the Benjamin Johnson
he and the other 20 individuals were bound to but that Benjamin Johnson may
have been a middleman for getting these folks to VA. My frustration is that I
cannot find him in headright records or whatever they are called.

Richard is first found serving in the horse rangers under Richard Brightwell in
1792 in St. Mary's County, MD with 10 other men. He was awared "600
tobacco per month" for serving from April to Novemeber 1692. Richard ended
up in Charles Co where he died in 1710. This part of Charles Co was formed
from St. Mary's Co. Richard is found renting 50 acres of land there in the 1652-
1753 rent rolls of Charles Co, MD.

One intersting piece of information that I do not yet know what to make of is
the fact that there was a John Hyfield listed as an indentured servant bound
for MD in 1685:

Indentured Servants Basic Search Results

Servant Information Agent Information
Name: John Hyfield Name: Thomas Cradock
Gender: male  Gender: male
Occupation:  Occupation:
Place of Origin:  Place of Origin:
Age: 17
Spouse's Name:
Indenture Information Servant's Parents Information