VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:01:30 EDT
Hello Friends,

In today's Daytona Beach, FL News Journal on the front page of the local
section is an article
concerning the preservation of a black cemetery in Flagler County,
Florida--here is a link that article--you will have to type the address in just  as it
is because the rootsweb lists do not permit "links"---  (it is very
interesting reading and being a florist in Flagler County I have been in this  cemetery
hundreds of times--

_http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Flagler/03FlaglerFLA
G01100205.htm_
(http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Flagler/03FlaglerFLAG01100205.htm)

Basically this article is telling us that the History Channel on TV has a
grant program for among other things old historic cemetery preservation and
repair.

Anyone who might be interested in Preserving an old "historic" family
cemetery would do well to read the above article and then read about this grant
program at

_http://www.saveourhistory.com/_ (http://www.saveourhistory.com/)

which even has an application for a grant click site.

Also while I am at it-----if you have not yet discovered the West Virginia
births, deaths, and marriage records online where you can print off the actual
document without charge----you are missing the boat completely--AND IT IS ALL
 FREE--the site is

_http://www.wvculture.org_ (http://www.wvculture.org)

I have spent many, many hours there already and I will be WEEKS getting all
the information there--remember all of WEST VIRGINIA was part of Virginia
until  about 1860-1865 and that Virginia info is now stored in West Virginia
Counties.  Do hope you will find as much as I have.

Sincerely,

Carlisle Bowling
74 Sanchez Avenue
Ormond Beach, FL  32174-5334             386-672-7966

(http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Flagler/03FlaglerFLAG01100205.htm)