VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:52:47 -0500
For others interested, Hollow Folk may be read on-line:

_http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b297150#page/1/mode/1up_
(http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b297150#page/1/mode/1up)

Carole

In a message dated 11/19/2012 11:16:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Carole,  if you have a chance to read the book, hope you will get back  to
me.
M.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Carole D. Bryant
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> [...]
>
> Carolyn,  what a nice  response.  Many of my kin came to the Shenandoah
> Valley in   the 1730s.  I can't imagine how tough the conditions were
while
>  they  tried to put up a cabin.  I look at how spoiled I am (can't  be
too
> warm or too cool) and wonder how, genetically, my  line  survived.
>
> Your comments reminded me of a book I  read ...Hollow Folk by  Mandel
> Sherman
> and Thomas R.  Henry.  It was written in 1933 and tells  of life in the
>  hollows on the Blue Ridge Mountains.  From the tone of  your  email....I
> think you may enjoy  it.
>
>  Regards,
> Madaline
>

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012  at 10:11  AM, Carolyn Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > Quantities of  blankets, quilts, and  coverlids (a.k.a. counterpanes or
> > "countypins")  were  necessary in homes in which there was no central
> heat...
> >  and if  the fire went out, no heat at all. Most homes were of wood  and
> had
> > no  insulating materials. In addition,  kinfolks might come to stay
> awhile,
> >  often around  the holidays... maybe with numerous children, which would
> >   require providing pallets or some form of bedding to be able to sleep
>  >  everyone comfortably. Straw or corn shucks would be stuffed  into
"straw
> > ticks" which made rudimentary mattresses that  were laid on the  floor
> > accommodate visitors, especially  young un's.
> >
> >  My mother told of growing up in a  house with all her brothers and
> sisters
> > (there were ten)  at home at one time, sharing beds among them,  two or
>  three
> > in a bed. There were two upstairs bedrooms, one for  the  boys and one
for
> > the girls... but come fall of the  year, teachers  often boarded at
their
> > house, and the boys  were pushed out into an  attic space. Cold wouldn't
> even
>  > come close to describing the  conditions. At times it was truly
freezing
> in
> > the bedrooms and they  would have to  break ice on top of the water in
the
> > wash bowl and ewer  to  wash their faces when they arose.
> >
> > In the time frame  of your  "wagoner", it was even colder than in the
20th
> >  century, at least in  the U.S. and Europe. Around 1700, it was so cold
 in
> > the area known as  Alsace-Lorraine, it is said that birds  froze in
flight
> > and fell from  the sky. Heavy snows fell in  most of Europe, and canals
> and
> > streams  froze.  Remember Hans Brinker, the poor boy (and his sister)
who