VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2003

Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:08:57 EST
According to information found online, General Armistead's Brigade, to which
the 57th VA belonged, was then part of Dick Anderson's Division. Dick
Anderson's Division was placed in support of D. H. Hill's Division at the
Sunken Road. Other information found elsewhere on the net, says that
Armistead was wounded at Sharpsburg/Antietam.

Stephen Sears' wrote the following in "Landscape Turned Red:"

"Most of Mr. Piper's gently rolling fields were freshly plowed for winter
wheat, but he had not yet harvested the 25-acre cornfield that lay behind
George Anderson's Brigade in the Sunken Road, and the corn stood head high.
Farther to the rear was a 15-acre apple orchard & beyond that, in a little
hollow, were the Piper house & outbuildings. In bringing up his division Dick
Anderson sought the cover of the orchard & the cornfield, but the advance
could not be entirely masked and his casualties were numerous."

Further into the same chapter Sears also writes:

"Since Dick Anderson's wounding, only Wright's Brigade of his division had
advanced as far as the sunken road to get into the fight, helping to repel
the Irish Brigade. His other brigades remained scattered through Mr. Piper's
cornfield & apple orchard, apparently without orders."

So, if the 57th VA was in a support position, I guess they were stationed
somewhere in Mr. Piper's cornfield or apple orchard. But, the fact that
Armistead was injured leads me to believe that the 57th was a little more
involved.

How was Armistead injured?

Thanks again for any information. I look forward to reading your comments.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters