VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

From:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:59:27 -0500
This week I've been working in the North Carolina state archives in the
Wilkes Co. records for the period 1813-1830.  I'm working on the DOSS
family who moved there from what is now Appomattox Co. ca. 1813. JAMES DOSS
was the minister of the Wreck Island Baptist Church, now Red Oak Baptist
Church, in Oakville Va.

In looking through the records I found virtually all the names I recognize
as being Doss neighbors along Wreck Island Creek:  Patteson (Patterson),
Phelps, Bradley, Thomas, Gilliam, Miller and many, many more.  I'd like to
exchange information with anyone whose ancestors also made this move.  I
have a theory that the church may have divided and James may have led part
of the congregation to settle in North Carolina.  I'd like to try to test
this theory, and finding others who moved at the same time would help.

Yesterday I discovered a woman I think was James's wife.  She signed her
name LUCINDA R.M. DOSS. A granddaughter was named Lucinda Rebecca Doss, and
now I'm looking for a family whose surname began with M, living near Wreck
Island Creek in the 1770s, who may have been her family.  FREDERICK MILLER
stayed close to this Doss family.  Could she have been his sister?  Or was
she perhaps a MARTIN?  She had sons named William, Solomon and Lemuel Doss.

Please reply to me directly if you have information to share, as I'm on the
digest version of the list.  Thanks,

Libbie Griffin