VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2015

From:
Thomas Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 16:51:20 -0500
Pam:

In my research, I've come across an enclave of Boyer's in Alexandria, VA.
My direct line is below.

John W. Boyer b. 1784 (VA) d. 1865 (Alexandria, VA) m. Martha Ann Reynolds
 [soldier War of 1812]
Henry Boyer b. @1811 (VA) d. 1859 (Alexandria, VA) m. Mary Yardley
William Henry Boyer b. 1842 (Alexandria, VA) d. 1865 (Petersburg, VA) m.
Sarah Anne Curtis Gore [soldier 17th Virginia Infantry]
Charles William Boyer * b. 1864 (Fredericksburg, VA) d. 1950 (Hagerstown,
MD) m. Nettie P. Harbaugh    *my grandfather

 I also have information on some of the other Boyers in the area, likely
cousins, etc. My brick wall is getting beyond John W. Boyer so I signed up
for a Boyer Project DNA test to see if I can bridge the gap over to one of
the early Boyer families already documented in "American Boyers."  I
suppose that with an 8-year spread, your Margaret and my John W. could
conceivably be sister and brother although I doesn't appear that there is
any verifying documentation readily at hand.

John W. Boyer had at least 4 children - *Henry* (above) + *George W*. b.
@1814 d. after 1880; *Margaret E.* b. @1817 d. after 1880; *John L*. b.
1824 d. 1896.  If any of these link to you, I can probably provide
additional information on them.  Complicating research is the fact that
Alexandria was originally part of the Virginia Colony but later annexed
into the District of Columbia when the Nation's Capitol was established.
In 1846, Alexandria then was retroceded *back* to the State of Virginia.
This means that you often have to do two separate location searches for
birth/death records etc.

Regards,

Tom Boyer