VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
"George W. Durman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George W. Durman
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:02:51 -0500
At  Thursday  22-01-09  01:29 PM, Margaret Kerr Beckwith wrote:
*********START OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT*********
>Ted,
>
>I personally believe that we should always use the full given name.  I think
>that the abbreviations such as you mention have caused all genealogists/family
>historians angst for years!
>
>Margaret Kerr Beckwith
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Delaney" <[log in to unmask]>

**********END OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT***********

When citing Census Records, type in the name EXACTLY as entered in the
Census!!!!!

In your database Notes, make an entry as to what the name actually was, or what
you
think it was.

DON'T try to "guess" what the name actually was.  If it says "Jno.", make a
Note
saying you "think" that was "John" or "Jonathan" of so-and-so's family.

Again, if the Census Record says "Geo.", then record it in you database as
exactly
that, and make a Note saying you "believe" that "Geo." is the same as the
"George"
you have in your database with the same dates.

Sarge