VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:48:16 -0500
There can be no doubt but that some men used both a mark and their longhand
signature, especially when a man came to learn how to write AFTER he had
signed earlier documents with an X.  It was also not uncommon for those who
could not write to use their initials, as did your TD, those letters also
having been learned before, if ever, the man learned to write his full name.
Many signet rings bore the initials of the man, those being used to press
into wax as the "seal".  By so doing, and often in association with Xs and
or signatures.

All that said, be double sure there were not two men of that name, even with
wives of the same name.  Elizabeth was a VERY common name, and was given to
many, many baby girls in honor of the great Elizabeth I of England.

Paul