VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2003

Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:34:38 -0400
The only thing that I have found that "helps" (though not perfect) is to scan the document, then use the "photo negative" function in a graphics program - to make your white background black and the writing white.  (reverse of normal)

Many times things that I could not read - become readable this way.

When there is "bleed" - I take the document to work - we have a copier that does "photo" mode - which tends to "erase" some of the background.  Sometimes just lightening the document and then recopy the lightened document in a darker setting will also "erase" some of the background "bleed through". The second step of recopy in a darkening mode brings it back to a readable state again.

Hope this helps!  If anyone has some better ideas, methods, etc - would be glad to hear them myself!

Beverly
Casper, WY