VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:28:07 -0500
Confirming JoAnne's comment, knowledge of the parish serving any ancestor and the "genesis of counties" - origins of boundaries - in which that family resided is absolutely critical to all research worthy of the name.  Without knowing to which courthouses and churches ancestors went and during what years they did so renders research mediocre at best, and silly, at worst.

For now many more decades than I care to recite I have placed the genesis of the county on every family group sheet, whether that group sheet is on paper or on my puter.  Paul