VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:08:26 -0400
First off, let me say that I am sorry.

I'm sorry for sending the brief message that I wrote to the list.

I'm sorry that it caused so much trouble.

I am not, however, sorry that I said it.

I also am not sorry that it has sparked a conversation on the usefulness of
VA-ROOTS, the lack of activity of the list, and other important issues.

I have no problem with researchers making themselves known on lists. What I
had a problem with was the -format/content- of the messages being posted by
Mr. Murray. The subject line, "Research 4 you @ Lib. of VA. this week" reads
like the other spam that we all get every day. The use of numbers, symbols,
and abbreviations instead of real words (to me) implies that the author is
too busy to write a complete subject line, or that they don't care how the
message appears. The relative frequency in which the -same- subject line is
posted to the VA-ROOTS list (to me) makes the message -appear- to be a
periodic advertisement.

Several of you noted that I could easily use my delete key to take care of
messages that I don't want. I understand that, and I use my delete key
often. The reason why I wrote a message concerning these offers for service
was not that the message itself bothered me to the point that I just
couldn't delete it, but rather that it appeared to be in violation of the
VA-ROOTS rules as I understood them, and I didn't think that it as fair that
these rules were being taken advantage of.

I did not accidentally send the message to VA-ROOTS, but it was a mistake to
send it to the list.

I appreciate the services of people like Mr. Murray, as I have paid
individuals in other states for research performed in the past. I also am
not questioning the quality of Mr. Murray's research...as we have seen in
the past day, he has MANY satisfied customers. I only questioned his method
of advertising, and I questioned that method in a less than polite way.

Now, if we can, let's move on to some semblance of normalcy with this list.
Remember that Frank Murray IS STILL an excellent researcher, and he can
STILL be reached at [log in to unmask] just as in the past. I, for one, look
forward to his insightful postings on the Virginia Roots list.

WSB Smith
Lynchburg, Virga.